Prom season is almost here, meaning it’s time to come up with the ultimate makeup combination before the big night! It’s really never too early to plan out your makeup because there’s A LOT to consider before diving in head first.
Prom is about the whole picture–the dress, your features, even your hairstyle determines what makeup will make you look and feel like a million bucks. That being said, you should always choose a dress before settling on your beauty routine. Even if you have a distinct dress color and design in mind, another gown could easily catch your eye and throw off your entire plan. Looking your best means creating a makeup look that takes into account your hair style and color, eye color, dress color and dress style.
To help you through this process, we’ve compiled the ultimate prom beauty guide. We even included our favorite trending makeup looks for Prom 2016! Just remember that once you’ve decided on a beauty look, be sure to try it out at least once before the big night to avoid any last-minute fiascos.
6 Tips For The Best Prom Makeup Ever
Let’s get started…
Choose your colors
Once you have your dress, you’ll need to determine which makeup colors complement it best. Note that you should also consider which facial feature(s) you’d most like to highlight. Play up either your eyes or your lips, since you don’t want your features competing for attention. If you don’t generally wear much makeup (or any makeup at all), a neutral palette of pinks and soft golds is a great place to start to enhance your features. There’s no shame in keeping it simple. The goal of prom is not to make yourself unrecognizable, especially if you’re still hoping that cute guy from English class will ask you to dance. So go ahead and choose your favorite combo, but take care to always be yourself.
- Natural Glow-Apply a neutral apricot eyeshadow, a touch of mascara, barely there pink blush and pink lipstick for a fresh, clean look.
- Achromatic Face-A thin layer of black eyeliner, a few coats of mascara, subtle tan blush, and bare lipstick is all you need to boost your natural features.
- Rose Gold Eyes -Top off one layer of champagne eyeshadow with a coat of orchid or light mauve shadow for a fantastic combination.
- Smokey Metallic Eyes – Soft bronze or silver smokey eyes go great with black eyeliner, a touch of mascara, pink cheeks and berry, pink, nude or red lips. Take this look even further by lining your lower lashes with the same metallic eyeshadow to really make your eyes pop.
- Romantic Eyes – Blend steel gray and blue hues for a bold look, followed by generous amounts of eyeliner and mascara to really spice things up.
- Dramatic Black Lids – Brush some black eyeshadow over your lids and blend it out toward the sides. Add some black eyeliner and a light peach lipstick to pull everything together.
- Ombré Shadow – Smokey eyes can be overwhelming to master. Instead, use two lighter shades of eyeshadow to create a color-blocked look. Start by applying the lighter color to your lid. Then, blend in the darker shade, starting in the middle of the eye and continuing out toward the corner. This ombré effect is subtle and easy to achieve.
- Soft Smokey Eyes with Crimson Lips -Barely there smokey eyes, rose pink blush and a bold crimson red lip color will have you turning heads all night.
- Radiant Orchid Lips with a Cat Eye – Trade in your red lipstick for a fresh shade of radiant orchid. Since this is Pantone’s color of the year, people just can’t get enough of our Deenie lipstick and Gwen lip gloss! Top off the look with light-colored eyeshadow, a cat eye and two coats of mascara on your top lashes for the ultimate party duo.
Assess your skin
Makeup and skincare go hand in hand, which is why I always say “makeup only looks as good as the skin it’s on.” Therefore, if your skin could use a boost, I recommend using all natural, plant-based skincare products (such as Hush+Dotti’s cleansing balm) at least 2-4 weeks before prom in order to help make your skin look clear and radiant by the time the big day comes around.
Skim the surface
The key to any flawless look is to start with the right foundation. Choose a color that matches your jawline. Then, blend and brush into the skin as thoroughly as possible so the difference is undetectable. Next, use bronzer to warm up your complexion and make sure your face, neck and chest are the same color.
Don’t risk smudges
Choose a waterproof mascara and eyeliner to keep your eyes looking fresh all night long. Hey, prom night can bring many tears of joy. So the last thing you want is to have black smudges under your eyes. As it turns out, our long-wearing organic mascara, gel eyeliner and liquid eyeliner are perfect for long nights of dancing and laughing.
Groom your brows
You may have the world’s best skincare, makeup and brushes around, but if you don’t have properly groomed eyebrows, you will always look undone. To achieve desired brows, refer to our how-to blog on this very topic here.
Pack up your backup
Be prepared for what the night has in store by bringing an emergency beauty kit with you. Since you’ll most-likely be eating and dancing (a.k.a. sweating) throughout the night, it’s good to at least carry some powder, eyeliner, lipstick, blush and concealer in your purse. Just remember to hit the lady’s room every now and then to apply touch-ups. You always want to be photo-ready on prom night. Say CHEESE!
Now that you have all of the tools you need to create the best prom makeup ever, you can spend the rest of the evening enjoying yourself and snapping as many selfies as possible. Just remember to practice your look ahead of time, focus on playing up either your eyes or your lips, and stay true to who you are. We hope you have the best prom night ever!