I get it, it’s difficult to choose. We have so many options to choose from and some of us love to mashing brands and products together. Now I would love it if you chose everything from our collection, but I know that’s not always possible. Today’s consumer is all about their favorites and is always on the look out for the next hottest thing in makeup. Let’s first start by asking ourselves which do I use the most. There are a few to decide on here, but they’re important.
Let’s Start By Reviewing Your Options
- Tinted Moisturizer
- Sheer Foundation
- Medium Coverage Foundation
- Full Coverage Foundation
- Mineral Foundation
Women can be really
funny about foundation. Over the years I’ve developed a working theory. They can fall into two camps. Camp 1 – Women who enjoy it and embrace wearing it. Camp 2 – Women who have never worn it, don’t think they need it and wear that fact like a badge of honor.
I understand it all. As a makeup professional, I’ve often had to coach many in Camp 2 to a place where they can be at peace with wearing foundation. Regardless of which camp you fall into, you can will love the way you look and feel when wearing the right foundation that suits your needs, coloring and skin type.
Let’s define your choices to get you on the road to choosing the perfect foundation:
come in a wide variety of textures. For some people who are not comfortable with wearing foundation, using concealers for spot coverage is a great way to begin to get comfortable with wearing a product on the face. These offer minimal to maximum coverage depending on the product you are using and how you are using it.
This is a fabulous option for women who are not comfortable with the notion of foundation or just want a product with transparent coverage. Tinted moisturizers are sheer and lightweight versions of a foundation. They come in a variety of formulas from oil free to hydrating.
Some will offer more pigment in their formulas than others and therefore give you more coverage. They were formulated to be the perfect hybrid of foundation, moisturizer and sunscreen. For women who don’t want a heavy or made up look, they are the perfect solution. This is a very popular product for women who want a natural look and are great for daytime wear.
These can be similar in feeling and formula to tinted moisturizers, but offer a little more pigment. The overall look is somewhere between a tinted moisturizer
and a medium coverage foundation. Similar to tinted moisturizers they will come in a variety of formulas from oil free to hydrating.
Medium Coverage Foundation
They are similar in feeling and formula to sheer foundations, but they will have more pigment in them making them less transparent. Medium coverage organic foundation products offer a finished overall appearance to the skin, but still look lightweight and natural.
Full Coverage Foundation
These will contain the most pigment out of all of the liquid foundations. Full coverage foundations
are perfect for when you want a very finished and flawless look. This is perfect for when you are having your photos taken and really want a perfected appearance to the skin. For most brides, tv appearances, head shots & photo shoots I recommend using a full coverage organic foundation.
These are an interesting category because they offer flexible coverage and for that reason they are very popular. Furthermore, mineral foundations
are typically powder formulas which can come in a pressed or loose version. Most people find the pressed version to be easiest to navigate, as loose powders can be difficult to control.
When applied with a brush mineral powders will look quite sheer and when applied with a sponge they can offer full coverage. If you apply mineral powder with a brush in layers, you can get coverage that you can build upon. It’s this flexibility of coverage that is quite appealing to many women.
Is Your Head Spinning, Don’t Worry
So now that I have you pondering your perfect foundation formula, it’s time to really make your head spin while we talk about how to choose your color. I think color is another reason why women feel truly overwhelmed by foundation
They worry about walking around with a foundation color that’s too light or too dark or having the dreaded floating “M&M face”. Any extreme can throw off your coloring and make you look tired or washed out. Here are a ten fail safe tips to ensure that you select the correct organic foundation color:
- Narrow down your selection of colors to the three that are closest to your skin tone.
- Swipe the three potential colors along your jawline. Back away from the mirror, you will see which one looks best. Blend it in to make sure what you’re seeing is correct.
- Stand by a source of natural light. It is nearly impossible to get your foundation perfect without consulting a clear source of indirect sunlight.
- Interestingly enough, choosing the perfect foundation is never just about the face. Always Include your neck and chest. Selecting the right foundation color means objectively looking at all three parts and choosing a color to unify them.
- Do not try to match a foundation color to an overly tanned chest or neck. Seek a color that can harmonize well with the three areas – face, neck and chest.
- It is common to feel a tad pale when your foundation first goes on. Know that you can warm up your face and color correct should you need to with bronzer and blush.
- Take a trusted friend with you to the makeup counter. They can help you see the correct color for your skin tone and assist you in seeing yourself objectively.
- When applying foundation, always start in the t-zone and blend out from there. Most often coverage is needed in the t-zone and very little is typically needed along the jawline or hairline.
- Take care to apply your foundation with a good quality foundation brush or with a dense, latex-free, professional quality sponge.
- Blend, blend, blend! Don’t be shy, stand back and assess your work. You’ll see the smooth skin you’ve always dreamed of.
Finally, makeup is not as mysterious as one may think. These tips will help get you on the road to flawless looking skin in no time!
With so many beauty brands popping up left and right it’s starting to get a bit crazy. So, how do you choose the right foundation for you? Well, I’m going to tell you how.